Kids enjoying Spring

Kids enjoying Spring
This is my middle son, and my friends kids playing in the garden faucet, and loving every minute.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Findings


So yesterday I found a dead baby bird on the ground behind my back porch. I picked it up and threw it in the trash so none of my kids stepped on it. Then later that evening I found another one, I got my glove on and went to pick it up, and it moved. It was still alive. My boys were very concerned, and my farmer husband told me to throw it away and that the mama bird wouldn't care for it since it smelled like human. So I reluctantly threw it away. I couldn't seem to get it off my mind, I kept going back to see it still breathing and flopping around. So I had the genius idea to google it, and found out that birds can't smell really. So I put it back, well a few hours later it fell out again. It broke my heart to think that it was going to die cold, alone and hungry :( So I picked it up and brought it inside, made a little make-shift bed with a warm washrag under it for warmth. I waited 5 minutes and then came back to check on it, well it was perked up and ready to eat :) I looked it up and with the suggestion of canned dog food, (which I don't have) I grabbed canned cat food and took the gravy off of it into a dropper. It took it right down. Then it ate several more times before I went to bed, then prayed for the best. Woke up this morning to find it was still alive :) So here's hoping for the best. Yes I know it's illegal to keep it, but I'm only going to keep it till it starts to fly, then we will release it.

1 comment:

  1. Just as a note, it died after I made one last attempt at placing it back in the nest. It fell out yet again, then once I brought it back in to try and warm it up it gave up and died on me. So I tried, but it just wasn't meant to be :(

    ReplyDelete